A money order is like a financial instrument used to safely send money to someone instead of cash. Many financial institutions, like MoneyGram, Western Union, and commercial banks, sell and cash money orders.
Aside from the banks, post offices and some grocery stores also do money orders. 7-Eleven is a convenience store found in most parts of America, so it is likely to accept money orders like many other retailers.
But before we draw that conclusion, let’s first find out.
What Does 7-Eleven Do?
7 Eleven operates more than 60,000 convenience stores, mostly in North America and Asia. Although it has a subsidiary in Tokyo, it is headquartered in Dallas. 7-Eleven has deals on food items, drinks, and turnover products.
They also serve coffee from brands like Folgers and Maxwell House. You can buy freshly made bread, pastries, cakes, and snacks. Your meal options for breakfast and lunch are also available, in case you want to stop by.
Does 7-Eleven Do Money Orders?
Yes, 7-Eleven accepts money orders. It is one of the convenience stores in the US that sells but does not cash money orders. The service provider they use is either Western Union or MoneyGram, but that depends on the location.
You can buy money orders with a $500 maximum limit at 7-Eleven. The charge fee varies depending on the location of the 7-Eleven store. The minimum charge fee, however, is $0.65.
Read Also: Does RaceTrac Do Money Orders?
How Does a Money Order work?
A money order is a check-like document used to send money to someone instead of cash. But unlike a check, you don’t need a bank account before you make the purchase.
To purchase a money order, you should visit any post office, financial institution, or grocery store. The money you want to send to someone is used to purchase a money order and its charge.
For some places, the maximum worth of a money order is $1000, while others sell a money order worth $500 to $800 with different charges. Generally, the charges are about $0.5 – $1, depending on the place of purchase.
Although you can purchase a money order from some grocery or convenience stores, not all of them cash it out. Places that are certain to sell and cash money orders are post offices, MoneyGram, Western Union, and banks.
Money order retailers do not act on their own. They are sponsored by service providers like MoneyGram and Western Union.
Information to fill in the Money Order form
- Name of the recipient
- Recipient’s address
- Payment amount
- Your name and address
Advantages of Money Order
- It is safer and more secure than cash
- You need a bank account to purchase a money order
- The funds are guaranteed
- It is used internationally
- It does not bounce like a check
- Money Orders are trackable.
- Money Order does not expire.
Disadvantages of Money Order
- The maximum amount you can purchase in Money Order is $1000, which is low for someone who wants to send more than that amount. It will result in purchasing more than one Money Order with charges.
- It can easily be altered or counterfeited.
- Unlike the modern money transfer method, Money Orders are purchased in person.
How can I purchase a Money Order from 7-Eleven?
- Visit the nearest 7-Eleven store in your area that you are sure sells Money Orders.
- At the cashier stand, you will be given the option to pay for your Money Order, which includes cash or debit card.
- You will be asked to fill in the information required for the purchase, including the amount you want to send and the charge.
- Some 7-Eleven locations require photo identification, so you should carry your driver’s license or any other identification card if it is needed.
- Once you provide the necessary information and payment, the Money Order will be printed out for you.
- The Money Order is issued by MoneyGram or Western Union. Hence, 7-Eleven is not printed out on it.
- The back of the Money Order is a space for endorsement, so do not write on it. It is for the 7-Eleven register to endorse during the cash-out process.
- Ensure that you keep the receipt safe, as it will be a means to get a refund if your money order is lost.
Do all 7-Eleven stores do Money Orders?
Most 7-Eleven stores accept money orders, but to be sure, visit the MoneyGram or Western Union websites and check for the location of a 7-Eleven store near you.
Can I use a credit card to purchase a Money Order at 7-Eleven?
No, you can’t. You can only use cash or debit cards to purchase money orders from 7-Eleven.
Where are other places I can purchase Money Orders?
- Banks or Credit Unions
- Western Union or MoneyGram
- US Postal Service
- CVS Pharmacy
7-Eleven is a well-known convenience store that accepts money orders. However, the store only sells money orders but does not cash them. The store uses either of the service providers, depending on the location.
The highest limit for a money order at 7-Eleven is $500. It could be a problem if you want to send more than that to someone. In this case, you can either buy more than one or go to another location where the cost of a money order is higher.