Wondering where hoisin sauce is in the grocery store? In this article, we have revealed the different aisles and stores where you will buy hoisin sauce and similar condiments.
This thick, sweet, and savory sauce is commonly used in Chinese cuisine. It is made from a mixture of soybeans, sugar, vinegar, and various spices and is used as a marinade, dipping sauce, and stir-fry sauce.
Hoisin sauce has a unique taste that is a combination of sweet, salty, and slightly spicy. Most people use it in dishes such as Peking duck, and moo shu pork, and as a dipping sauce for dumplings and spring rolls.
Now, let’s help you find it in the grocery store…
What Aisle is Hoisin Sauce in the Grocery Store?
You will find hoisin sauce typically in the international aisle of most grocery stores like Walmart, often near Asian sauces and condiments.
Also, some stores may also carry it in the cooking sauces or marinade section. But if you cannot find it in any of these aisles, check any of the stores listed below.
List of Stores Where to Buy Hoisin Sauce Near You
Hoisin sauce is a staple in most Asian cuisine, therefore it is widely available in most supermarkets. Here are some popular grocery stores where you will definitely buy hoisin sauce:
You might also want to check out the top-rated hoisin sauce brands on Amazon
No products found.
2. Whole Foods
At Whole Foods, you will find different hoisin sauces in the condiments and dressing aisle. The store carries a wide selection of organic hoisin sauce, as well as other Asian sauces and condiments. They have 365 Organic Hoisin sauce, gluten-free San J International cooking sauce, etc.
3. Trader Joe’s
Trader Joe’s is another store where you will find both organic and conventional hoisin sauce, as well as other Asian sauces and condiments. A product like Lee Kum Kee hoisin sauce is one of the most popular ones you will find in the store.
You will find hoisin sauce at Safeway in the sauces and marinades section. The store carries a variety of hoisin sauces, as well as other Asian sauces and condiments. Dynasty hoisin sauce, Lee Kum Kee, and gluten-free Kikkoman hoisin sauce are some products you will get at Safeway.
Kroger keeps hoisin sauce in the international aisle, near other Asian sauces and condiments. Kroger hoisin sauce, Ka-Me, and Lee Kum Kee hoisin sauces are some of the products that the store carries.
Read Also: Is Kroger More Expensive than Walmart?
At Walmart, you will find hoisin sauce in the Asian section of the international aisle. It carries a variety of hoisin sauces like Dynasty sauce, Kikkoman hoisin sauce, and Lee Kum Kee sauce. You can check the availability of the product on their website and use the store locator on the website to find the nearest store to you.
Target is also one of the stores where you will find buy hoisin sauce. They keep various brands among other sauces, salsa, and marinades in the condiment aisle. Some of the products they carry are Lee Kum Kee Hoisin sauce and Dynasty hoisin sauce.
Read Also: Which Countries Have Target?
At Publix, you will find hoisin sauces sitting in the condiments aisle among other sauces and marinades. Ka-Me, Kikkoman, and Lee Kum Kee hoisin sauces are some brands that the store carries.
You will find hoisin sauce in the condiments and spice aisle at Albertsons. It carries a variety of hoisin sauces and condiments in this aisle. Lee Kum Kee, Kikkoman, Ka-Me, and Mikee hoisin sauces are some products that you will find there.
If you have any HEB nearby, it is definitely another store to buy hoisin sauce near you. HEB carries products like Polar hoisin sauce, Ka-Me, Lee Kum Kee, Kikkoman, Koon Chun, and House of Tsang hoisin sauces.
Among many stores where you will buy hoisin sauce is Wegmans. They have brands Joyce Chen, Koon Chun, Kikkoman, and Asian Gourmet mandarin style hoisin sauces. You will find these products in the International aisle, among Asian cooking sauces.
Read Also: Does Wegmans Take EBT Cards?
12. Specialty Stores
Aside from traditional grocery stores, hoisin sauce can also be found at specialty stores such as Asian markets, health food stores, and online retailers.
NOTE: When shopping for hoisin sauce, it is important that you read the ingredient label and look for high-quality products that are made with minimal preservatives and additives. Some hoisin sauce brands may also have gluten-free or vegan options available.
4 Great Ways to Use Hoisin Sauce
Hoisin sauce can be used in a variety of dishes, from stir-fries to marinades to dipping sauces. Here are a few suggestions for incorporating hoisin sauce into your cooking:
- Make into dipping: Mix hoisin sauce with rice vinegar and sesame oil to create a flavorful dipping sauce for dumplings or spring rolls.
- As Marinade: Use hoisin sauce as a marinade for grilled meats or tofu.
- Use in Soups: Stir hoisin sauce into soups, such as won ton or hot and sour soup, for added flavor and depth.
- It’s an Alternative: Use hoisin sauce as a base for a glaze on roasted vegetables or shrimp.
Best Hoisin Sauce Alternatives
If you cannot find hoisin sauce in your grocery store, you might want to settle for an alternative. Here are some other sauces that you can use in place of hoisin sauce:
- Oyster sauce: A thick, dark sauce made from oysters, sugar, and salt. It has a similar savory-sweet flavor profile to hoisin sauce.
- Barbecue sauce: This sauce, commonly used in American cuisine, is made from tomato paste, vinegar, and spices.
- Soy sauce: A staple in many Asian cuisines, soy sauce is made from soybeans, wheat, and salt. It can be used as a substitute for hoisin sauce in a recipe, but it will not have the same sweetness.
- Hoisin-peanut butter: Mixing hoisin sauce with peanut butter will give you a sweet-nutty taste and creamy texture.
- Miso paste: A traditional Japanese seasoning made from fermented soybeans, rice, and salt. It has a rich, savory flavor and would be a suitable alternative to hoisin sauce.
- Teriyaki sauce: This sauce is a sweet, savory sauce that is commonly used in Japanese cuisine. You can use it as a substitute for hoisin sauce in some dishes.
Keep in mind that each sauce will have its own unique flavor profile. So you may need to adjust the amount used and/or the other ingredients in the recipe to make it work.
Hoisin sauce is widely available in most grocery stores and supermarkets. They are usually kept in the international aisle, near the Asian sauces and condiments. Hoisin sauce is also available in specialty stores such as Asian markets and online retailers.
- Where to Find Tahini in the Grocery Store
- Where to Find Chamoy in Grocery Store
- Where to Find Mustard Seeds in the Grocery Store
- Where to Find Balsamic Glaze in Grocery Store