Coconut cream is a non-dairy product gotten from the puree of coconut flakes. It can be equaled to heavy cream, the only difference being the dairy content. Coconut cream is plant-based, and this has made it very useful in various vegan recipes. Although unsweetened, it is delicious, gluten-free, and keto-friendly.
Most people hardly know that such a product even exists, until it is required in a recipe they are preparing. This is why it is often difficult to locate it in grocery stores. You could spend several minutes trying to locate this product if you do not know the aisles to check.
In this shopping guide, we’d help you locate it faster by pointing you to the aisles to check, and sharing a list of reliable grocers and online stores that carry the product. So here is where you can find coconut cream in the grocery store.
What Aisle is Coconut Cream Located in Grocery Stores?
Your first stop when looking for coconut cream in a grocery store should be the canned goods section. Coconut cream is often shelved with other canned fruits and vegetables. Next, you can check the natural or organic foods aisle.
Some grocery stores also stock coconut cream on the international aisle, amongst other Asian and Mexican food products. Coconut cream is also a popular ingredient in many cocktails, so you can also check the aisle for drink mixes.
Read Also: Where to Find Heavy Cream in Grocery Store
Popular Coconut Cream Brands
For a product that is not commonly used, you should definitely need some help with recommendations on what brands to buy. The list below contains some of our best coconut cream brands and their suitable applications.
- Thai Kitchen Unsweetened Coconut Cream: Good if You’re in need of a gluten-free product
- Native Forest Organic Premium Coconut Cream: Good if You want an organic product
- Let’s Do Organic Heavy Coconut Cream: Good if you want to make vegan whipped cream
- Aroy-D Pure Coconut Cream: Good if you want it in bulk
- Nature’s Greatest Foods Organic Coconut Milk: Good if you do not want GMO ingredients
- Earth Circles Organic Coconut Cream Powder: Good if you want no added sugars
- Coco Goods Co Single-Origin Organic Coconut Cream: Good if you want Kosher
Where to Buy Coconut Cream Near You
If you do not find coconut cream at any of your local grocery stores, you can get it from any of the stores below.
Online shopping is fast and convenient on Amazon. They offer a variety of coconut cream brands like Thai’s and Aroy-D, in bulk and unit packages.
You can get coconut cream brands like Thai, Let’s Do Organic, and Coco Lopez at Walmart. You can also use the store locator on their website, to check what products are available in your city.
3. Whole Foods
At the international aisle of Whole Foods, you can get numerous coconut cream options.
In the cocktail mix section, you should get Target’s Goya Cream of Coconut, alongside other brands.
You can get multiple coconut cream brands at any Safeway store in your city. They usually carry brands like Goya, Coco Lopez, and Thai.
6. Trader Joe’s
If you are a fan of Trader Joe’s brand goods, you’re in luck, as they have their own brand of coconut cream.
Related Post: Does Trader Joe’s Sell Yeast?
If there is a Publix store close to you, you can get coconut cream from brands like Thai Kitchen and Iberia. Kroger
Kroger is another great place to get multiple coconut cream brand options. All their stores, irrespective of the location, should carry at least one or more brands.
8. Ethnic Markets
Ethnic markets are also great places to check for coconut cream. Keep an eye out for Asian, Indian, and Latin ethnic markets. You should be able to pick up coconut cream there.
9. Local Health Food Store
The health food store in your city should carry natural food products, one of which is coconut cream. The aisle where it is found could vary significantly from store to store, however, a store attendant can help you in the search.
How to Use Coconut Cream
There are quite a number of recipes that require the use of coconut cream. You can always try out any of these at home.
- Coconut cream can be used as a thickener or flavoring agent, in sauces, soups, and curries.
- It is great for making ice cream and smoothies, as it helps improve consistency.
- It is a key ingredient in making desserts, like chocolate mousse and coconut cream pie.
- It is an excellent alternative to heavy cream and can be substituted with an equal amount in almost all recipes. It is great for homemade coconut whipped cream.
- Coconut cream can also be used in making tropical drinks like coconut rum punch, or pina coladas.
Substitutes for Coconut Cream
1. Coconut Milk
The difference between coconut milk and coconut cream can be likened to the difference between regular milk and heavy cream. Coconut milk has a similar flavor to coconut cream, however, it is less fatty.
If you are substituting coconut milk for a recipe that requires coconut cream, you might want to add a bit of cream to thicken and fluff things up, as the coconut milk may be too thin.
2. Whipped Cream
Contrarily, whipped cream may be too thick for your recipe, so it’s advisable to thin it out with a bit of coconut milk. Do remember that whipped cream would add dairy content to your recipe.
3. Nut Paste
Coconut is a type of nut, so nutty paste can be substituted for coconut cream. Coconut paste is preferably used, but it’s seldom available, so you can use the almond paste as well. Simply add a bit of water to the paste, and thin out the contents in a blender.
If the almond paste does not give you that desired coconut flavor, you can add a handful of coconut flakes with some water, and blend until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Where to Find Lard in Grocery Store
- Where is Tahini in Grocery Store
- Where is Hoisin Sauce in Grocery Store?